$3.00 for the 1st Quilt, $2.00 for each additional quilt.
Sunday, September 22, 2019 – 1:00 to 5:00 pm, Unitarian Universalist Church 2000 S. Solano Dr.
Sunday, September 29, 2019 4:00 pm – 5:00 pm
Exhibits may not be removed before 4:00 pm on the Sunday of Fair week.
1. Best of Show – $50.00 and Rosette – Las Colcheras Quilt Guild
2. Virginia Kane Best Hand Quilting – $15 and Rosette – Southern NM State Fair & Rodeo
Virginia Kane founded the Quilting Competition at the Fair
3. Best Appliqué – $15.00 and Rosette
4. Best Piecing – $15.00 and Rosette
5. Best Machine Quilting, Stationary Machine – $15.00 and Rosette
6. Best Machine Quilting, Track Mounted Machine – $15.00 and Rosette
7. Best Art Quilt – $15.00 and Rosette
8. Best Use of Color – $15.00 and Rosette
9. Judge’s Choice – $15.00 and Rosette
10. Viewer’s Choice – $15.00 and Rosette
11. Best Small Quilt – $15.00 and Rosette
12. Best of Lot (Each Lot 1-11) $20.00
13. 2nd Best of Lot (Each Lot 1-11) $10.00
First through third place and honorable mention ribbons, may be given in each class as merited by the quality of the exhibits in each category.
There are no cash awards.
Quilting General Rules
1. The show is open to all residents of Dona Ana, Bernalillo, Catron, Grant, Hidalgo, Luna, Otero, Socorro, Sierra and Valencia Counties in New Mexico and El Paso County in Texas.
Entrants must be 19 years of age or older.
|2. Each entry should have a 4 inch (2-inch for small quilts) finished double casing sewed securely to the top edge of the quilt. Casing should be stitched, top and bottom, with stitches that do not show on the front of the quilt.|
|3. Quilts should be permanently labeled with quilter’s name on the quilt (on the sleeve is OK). Use safety pins to secure a piece of muslin over your name on the quilt label for judging.|
|4. No item will be accepted if it is soiled, stained, shows signs of use, or has an odor.|
|5. All entries must be the work of the exhibitor, must have been finished in the last year and a half, and cannot be something entered previously in the fair.|
|6. Entries appropriate to this Department will be accepted at the discretion of the Superintendent. The Superintendent retains the right to change an entry’s placement in a category, combine categories with few entries, and/or split categories with many entries.|
|7. You may enter as many items as you wish.|
|8. The Judge is instructed to award ribbons only to articles deemed worthy of merit. If no competition exists and/or no article is worthy of first premium, the judge may award second or third premium or none at all.|
|9. The Quilt Department and the SNM State Fair will not be responsible for the loss or damage of articles entered.|
LOT 1 QUILTING BY HAND (BED QUILTS) – THE WORK OF ANY NUMBER OF PEOPLE
Q 101 Pieced or Appliquéd
Q 102 * Mixed techniques
Q 103 Embroidered or Cross-Stitched.
Q 104 Whole Cloth
LOT 2 MACHINE QUILTED BED QUILTS – STATIONARY SEWING MACHINE, THE WORK OF AN INDIVIDUAL
Q 201 Pieced or Appliquéd
Q 202 Mixed Techniques *
Q 203 Embroidered or Cross-stitched
Q 204 Whole Cloth
LOT 3 MACHINE QUILTED BED QUILTS – TRACK MOUNTED MACHINE, THE WORK OF AN INDIVIDUAL
Q 301 Pieced or Appliquéd
Q 302 Mixed techniques *
Q 303 Embroidered or Cross-stitched
Q 304 Whole Cloth
LOT 4 PROFESSIONALLY QUILTED BED QUILTS – MACHINE QUILTED BY A PROFESSIONAL QUILTER. (WILL BE THE SAME PERSON IF THE QUILTER IS A PROFESSIONAL. MUST INCLUDE THE NAME OF THE QUILTER ON ENTRY FORM. THE WORK OF ANY NUMBER OF PEOPLE
Q 401 Pieced
Q 402 Appliquéd
Q 403 Mixed techniques *
Q 404 Other
LOT 5 GROUP QUILTS, ANY SIZE, MACHINE QUILTED, NON-PROFESSIONAL WORK: MADE BY THREE PEOPLE OR MORE
Q 501 Pieced
Q 502 Appliquéd
Q 503 Mixed techniques *
Q 504 Other
LOT 6 MISCELLANEOUS
Q 601 Tied Quilts, any size
Q 602 Quilt made from a kit
Q 603 Bed Runners and Lap Quilts
Q 604 Other, Yo-Yo, Crazy, Cathedral, pre-printed quilts and quilts that do not fit in other categories
LOT 7 ART QUILTS -AN ORIGINAL WORK OF THE QUILTER, ANY SIZE
Q 701 Original/Art Quilt Pictorial/Landscape/Whimsical. Any technique including work from photographs may be used.
Q 702 Original/Innovative Art Quilt Abstract/Graphic. Any technique.
LOT 8 WALL QUILTS
Q 801 Pieced
Q 802 Appliquéd
Q 803 Mixed Techniques *
Q 804 Other
LOT 9 BABY AND JUVENILE QUILTS – THE WORK OF ANY NUMBER OF PEOPLE.
Q 901 Pieced
Q 902 Appliquéd
Q 903 Mixed Techniques *
Q 904 Other
LOT 10 SMALL QUILTS – PERIMETER IS 100” OR LESS – ALL PARTS OF THE QUILT MUST BE TO SCALE
Q 1001 Pieced
Q 1002 Appliquéd
Q 1003 Mixed Techniques *
Q 1004 Other
LOT 11 GARMENTS, HOUSEHOLD & DECORATIVE ITEMS – MUST HAVE QUILTING, APPLIQUÉ, OR PIECING, THE WORK OF AN INDIVIDUAL
Q-1102 Garments and accompanying accessories
Q-1103 Table Runners & Toppers, Placemats, Pillows, Bags
LOT 12 DISPLAY ONLY – MUST BE QUILTED, MAY BE VINTAGE
* Mixed techniques: – includes combinations of techniques on the quilt top, such as thread painting, equal amounts of piecing and appliqué, embroidery, and other techniques added in a substantial amount. Does not include embellishments such as beading or buttons unless these are heavily used as the main focus of the quilt top.